My hand carved Meels
I started making meels about 2 months ago. I didn't really know what I wanted, so I made a trial meel out of one of my cylindrical clubs. The club on its own weighs 1.5 kg. I loaded it progressively with 1 kg weights. I discovered that 5.5 kg was about as much as I could turn comfortably, so that became the upper target weight for my meels.
The first set of meels I started making was a pair of turpentine tree meels. You can see how I made them here. The target weight was 4 - 5 kg.
But I got side tracked when I found some interesting timber (White Ironwood), and brought it home as a birthday treat. I made meels according to the Cobbett and Jenkin no. 3 specification. These meels are quite heavy, about 6.5 kg. You can see them taking shape here.
Paul Wolkowinski advised me to make a pair of 3 kg CJ2's. These would always be useful, both for warming up, as well as learning and entrenching the correct meel turning movements. So I started making the CJ 2 clubs, but left the weight at 3.7 kg. This is an intermediate weight, pending the completion of the turpentine tree meels. You can see them progressing here.
October 2014. I completed making the CJ2's. Final weight came out at 2.8 kg each.
A few days ago, I was walking around the neighborhood, and discovered an empty lot where trees had been felled. I found some thick straight sections of Indian laurel (Litsea Glutinosa). So I went home and came back with my car and my bow saw, to collect the wood. I have finished making them. You can see them taking shape here. They have cracked quite badly, but of all the meels I have, I use these the most.
Update 3 September 2014. A week ago, I found a white milkwood that had shed one of its branches. I cut two sections of the branch, brought them home, and converted them into 3.7 kg meels. They have a very unusual shape, like organic sculpture. You can see them taking shape here.
Update 21 November 2014. A week ago, I made a video of various exercises using all of my hand carved meels. Here it is: